top of page

UM/UIM Coverage -- What Is It?

You may have UM/UIM coverage on your auto policy and wonder what it is and how it might come into play if you're in an accident. UM/UIM stands for "uninsured" and "underinsured" motorist coverage. It is a "first party benefit" meaning that it is coverage that comes from your own insurance policy as opposed to the policy of another individual involved in the accident. I always advise my clients to purchase as much UM/UIM (and other first party benefits) as they can afford because you cannot count on others to be carrying sufficient coverage in the event you are seriously injured in an accident.

UM/UIM applies in situations where the other driver has insufficient insurance. If you are in an accident that is not your fault, and the other driver has no insurance or very little insurance, then you may be able to collect against the UM/UIM coverage on your auto policy. For example, if you are involved in an accident that results in a fracture that requires surgery and the accident was caused by a driver who was driving without any insurance, then you would be entitled to recover against the "uninsured" coverage on your own insurance policy. In the same accident caused by a driver with only $15,000 in bodily injury liability coverage

(sadly, the allowable Pennsylvania minimum), you could recover against the "underinsured" coverage on your own insurance policy. Making a claim for uninsured or underinsured coverage, however, should be done with the assistance of an experienced car accident lawyer like Brian M. Andris, Esquire to avoid relinquishing your right to collect. If you are or a loved one have been injured in an accident, play it safe and call Andris Law for a free consultation -- 610-585-1256.

Single Post: Blog_Single_Post_Widget
bottom of page